Monday, August 22, 2005

Still more jazz blogs you may enjoy


StLJN research drones deploy ultra-sophisticated technology and work
into the wee hours scouring the Web for jazz stuff that you might like

Since my first post on jazz blogs a while back, I've found several more that I think are worth recommending. In fact, I've found enough good ones that I will soon be adding a new section of jazz blog links as part of an upcoming revision of the site sidebar. But in the meantime, here are a few links to check out.

Be.Jazz is based in Belgium, I think, but it's written in English and provides an interesting take on jazz from a European perspective. Blogger Mwanji Ezana recently heard the Wayne Shorter Quartet at a festival, and has some thoughts of interest to anyone thinking of going to Shorter's concert here in St. Louis on September 28. Plus, Mr. Ezana - or is it Ms. Ezana? I confess that I have no idea.- has already linked to StLJN twice. That's enough to get Be.Jazz mentioned first all by itself!

From across the Atlantic Ocean to right up the road in Champaign, Illinois, say hello to Mr. Greg's Musings, in which Greg Kline seems to concentrate mostly on CD reviews.

Casa Valdez Jazz is written by David Valdez, a saxophonist based in Portland, OR, and has lots of fairly meaty technical, theoretical and conceptual stuff about sax playing and music in general , as well as items of general interest to jazz fans.

Armwood Jazz from Marietta, GA combines news items with occasional commentary, while Bagatellen covers a tasty blend of free improv, avant garde and creative music as well as jazz.

Then there's JazzEnvoy.com, with an eclectic mix including short profiles and biographical information on some Canadian jazz musicians who are not well known here in the U.S.; and Jazz Portraits, written by Joe Moore, who's station manager of KFSR-FM in Fresno, California.

I have a bunch more URLs to investigate, so I suspect there will be a "jazz blogs, part 3" post sometime in the not-too-distant future. And I'll be adding the RSS feeds from the blogs mentioned here (when available) to the "Jazz Blogs" folder on the StLJN Bloglines page. Reader recommendations are welcome - use the comments, or email me at stljazznotes at yahoo dot com.

2 comments:

Moandji Ezana said...

Thanks for the mention!

Dean Minderman said...

You're welcome, and thanks for stopping by.

I hope to get my sidebar updated with with a "jazz blogs" link section in the next few days, and Be.Jazz will be on there, for sure.

The custom of linking to similar sites has certainly helped drive traffic at some of the political blogs and at music blogs devoted to other genres. No reason why we can't do something similar for jazz blogs, albeit on a smaller scale.