Saturday, July 08, 2006

StLJN Saturday at the Movies:
David Sanborn and D'Angelo perform "Use Me"

Today's video is one I found a couple of weeks ago while while looking for clips of artists who were performing at the recent US Bank St. Louis Jazz and Heritage Festival. It features St. Louis native and alto saxophonist David Sanborn (who was one of the festival's headliners) and neo-soul singer D'Angelo performing Bill Withers' funk classic "Use Me," backed by a band including Marcus Miller on bass and Steve Gadd on drums. Not sure about the exact date this was recorded, but I'm guessing sometime in the late 1990s.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice clip, thanks Dean. It comes from a 2001 DVD "David Sanborn & Friends - The Super Session II" with Eric Clapton, Cassandre Wilson and others.

Dean Minderman said...

Thanks for the identifying info, Bob. I knew it had to be fairly recent but, as with many YouTube clips, there's scant documentation posted.

Hot Cross Haiku said...

Thank you so much for that. I was wondering what happened to him (D'Angelo). I miss him/his music! I can't believe it's been 7 years since the last full lp. That said, I bought a CD and i forget the DJ's name, he's mixed/remixed D'Angelo songs and songs he's sung/played on. 35 tracks. Funky, lush. It's just the grooviest.