Thursday, September 08, 2005

Jazz this week: Mulgrew Miller, Stone-Covelli Quintet, Original Knights of Swing and more


Mulgrew Miller

OK, it's going to be one more day before I can resume a semi-regular posting schedule, but I wanted to get something up about the weekend's highlights today.

Pianist Mulgrew Miller come to St. Louis to play Jazz at the Bistro on Friday and Saturday nights, and earns my highest personal recommendation. I've enjoyed Miller's work on record for some time, but had my first chance to see him live last spring and was most impressed. Miller's playing is steeped in blues and gospel, as you might expect from a former Jazz Messenger, but he's also capable of near-Tatumesque invention and virtuosity. At the concert I saw, he seemed to start a bit slowly, but then built momentum as the show went on, so he should really be smoking by the second set on Saturday.

Other gigs of special interest this week include the return of the Dave Stone-John Covelli Quintet to Cookie's tonight and a Casa Loma Ballroom dance on Friday featuring the Original Knights of Swing, one of the area's more enjoyable groups of big band revivalists. Plus, there's lots more that I just don't have time to write about today, so go to the St. Louis Jazz Notes Calendar and check it out for yourself.

If you're a musician or venue who would like to get your gig listed in the calendar, and possibly included in the weekly highlights post, email your info to me at stljazznotes at yahoo dot com. I'll be doing another update of the calendar in the next 24 hours, so if you've got events happening this month or early in October, now would be an excellent time to send along the details. Back with more tomorrow.

No comments: