New Music Circle ended their current presenting season on Friday night with a concert and combination wrap party/fundraiser, and as part of the event, the organization also revealed the roster of musicians they're bringing to St. Louis to perform during the 2012-13 season.
While NMC board member Jim Hegarty cautions that the dates and venues are not confirmed yet, the lineup of bands and musicians for the organization's 54th season looks quite impressive. It includes:
* Trombonist and electronic musician George Lewis and composer/sound artist Marina Rosenfeld, doing their piece “Sour Mash,” a collaborative work using turntables and computers that originally was recorded in 2009 for the Innova label;
* A trio featuring Danish saxophonist Lotte Anker, drummer Gerald Cleaver and keyboard player Craig Taborn (pictured, top left);
* Mephista, a trio with percussionist Susie Ibarra (pictured, center left), pianist Sylvie Courvoisier and electronic musician Ikue Mori;
* Pianist Kris Davis' quintet with violist Mat Maneri, saxophonist Ingrid Laubrock, bassist Trevor Dunn, and drummer Tom Rainey.
* The sextet of cornet player (and Anthony Braxton acolyte) Taylor Ho Bynum, which recently has included bass trombonist/tubist Bill Lowe, guitarist Mary Halvorson, bassist Ken Filiano, drummer Tomas Fujiwara, and alto saxophonist Jim Hobbs (pictured, bottom left);
* Caboladies, a Chicago-based electronic music duo comprised of Chris "Flower Man" Bush and Eric "Carl Calm" Lanham whose work might variously be categorized as experimental, ambient, noise, or something else entirely;
* A program presented in conjunction with the Center for Visual Music, a Los-Angeles based nonprofit film archive dedicated to visual music, experimental animation and avant-garde media;
* Another showcase of regional and local musicians that will include St. Louis' Trinity Piano Trio, featuring Amanda Kirkpatrick (piano), Tracy Andreotti (cello) and Manuela Kaymakanova (violin).
Hegarty told StLJN that NMC also has initiated an artistic advisory board comprised of "noted artists who have agreed to be consultants and idea people for us in terms of helping us with programming and artistic vision." The board will include several musicians who have performed in NMC-sponsored concerts in recent seasons, such as violinist, video artist and filmmaker Tony Conrad, multi-instrumentalists Douglas Ewart and Joe McPhee, and saxophonist Larry Ochs. "I'm very excited about the prospect of having their input," said Hegarty.
When NMC announces their final 2012-13 schedule with confirmed dates and venues, we'll have the info for you right here.
(Edited 5/15/12 to correct the names of Kris Davis' band members.)
Ken Vandermark on 5049 Records Podcast
1 hour ago