Friday, June 03, 2016
* The June issue of the NYC Jazz Record (note: PDF) includes a cover story on trumpeter and St. Louis native Lester Bowie.
* The ongoing financial woes of radio station WSIE are the subject of a feature story by Sandra Jordan of the St. Louis American.
* Bimhuis Radio has posted to Mixcloud some audio from a recent concert featuring saxophonist Greg Osby in Amsterdam with his protege and fellow saxophonist Tineka Postma.
* The Riverfront Times this week published profiles of the nominees in the jazz category of this year's RFT Music Awards.
* The St. Louis Gypsy Jazz Festival, organized by members of the band Franglais, announced that the 2016 edition of their event will be held October 21 through October 23 at Evangeline's, with further details TBA.
* Drummer and St. Louis native Kimberly Thompson was interviewed for a recent feature on the website of drum manufacturer Gretsch. Thompson's latest album (pictured) is called Treasures Abound, and is on sale now via CD Baby, iTunes, Google Play and Amazon.
* Saxophonist Oliver Lake is gigging this weekend with drummer Billy Hart's "Enhance" ensemble at the Healdsburg Jazz Festival in California. In addition to Lake and Hart, the all-star band includes trumpeter Eddie Henderson, saxophonist Joshua Redman, pianist Craig Taborn, and bassist Dave Holland.
* Meanwhile, trumpeter and St. Louis native Keyon Harrold is in Chicago this weekend, headlining the Four Star Music Festival at the Goose Island Barrel Warehouse.