Monday, June 27, 2016
* The Miles Electric Band's performance at the San Francisco Jazz Festival got dual reviews from AllAboutJazz.com's Walter Atkins and Harry S. Pariser.
* In the wake of that show, Monterey International announced that they've signed the Miles Electric Band to an exclusive booking contract. The group (pictured) includes Davis' nephew Vincent Wilburn and several other veterans of the trumpeter's band.
* Keeping with this week's developing "electric" theme, an article published last week by The Atlantic examined "The Electric Surge of Miles Davis."
* On another related note, the music sharing site RoiO has posted online a free download of a 1972 performance by Miles Davis recorded live at Paul’s Mall in Boston for a radio broadcast. The set features music from Davis' then-recent-and-controversial album On The Corner, performed by many of the musicians who helped make the record.
* Barnes and Noble has re-released Davis' classic album Sketches of Spain on exclusive yellow and red marbled vinyl.
* Keyboardist Robert Glasper last week released a music video to help promote Everything's Beautiful, his album remixing music from and paying tribute to Miles Davis. The clip for "Maiysha (So Long)" was directed by and also stars singer Erykah Badu, and you can see it in the embedded video window at the bottom of this post.
* Everything's Beautiful was reviewed by London Jazz News.