|A drawing by Miles Davis|
* Jazz at Lincoln Center's "Miles and ’Trane Festival" will celebrate the 90th birthdays of both Miles Davis and John Coltrane on all three stages at their NYC HQ from May 12 through 15.
* A new poll at JazzTimes.com asks readers to choose their favorite period of Miles Davis’ music. You can cast your vote on the lower left of the Jazz Times home page.
* Bob Gluck, author of The Miles Davis Lost Quintet and Other Revolutionary Ensembles, was profiled and his book discussed in an article in the Albany Times-Union.
* Marc Myers of the blog JazzWax had three posts last week about Davis, including "Miles Davis: Milan, 1964", "Miles Davis: 1951-54" and "The Musings of Miles".
* Blogger Matt Phillips writes about one of Davis' more unusual collaborations of the 1980s in "Story Of A Song: Toto/Miles Davis’s ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’".
* An exhibition of original Miles Davis art work will be held April 25 - 30 at the Dundas Street Gallery in Edinburgh, Scotland to coincide with the Glasgow run of Miles Ahead. (An image of one of the works appearing in the exhibition can be seen illustrating this post.)
Turning to Miles Davis movie news, here's a list of links to the most recent coverage of Don Cheadle's film Miles Ahead, which opens here in St. Louis this Friday, April 22 at the AMC Creve Coeur 12 and the Tivoli. As with the similar link compilations featured here the past couple of weeks, they've been grouped roughly by topic.
About the music
* Watch The Video For Robert Glasper And Bilal's Miles Davis Rework, "Ghetto Walkin'" (TheFader.com)
* The Beginner's Guide To Miles Davis (NotionMagazine.com)
* Critic’s Pick: ‘Miles Ahead’ original motion picture soundtrack (Lexington Herald-Leader)
Reviews of the film
* 'Miles Ahead': Don Cheadle's daring, soul-baring turn as Miles Davis (Philadelphia Inquirer)
* Movie review: 'Miles Ahead' hits the right note (Syndicated/More Content Now)
* Miles Davis biopic 'Miles Ahead' might give you the blues (Twin Cities Pioneer Press)
* Miles Ahead: Biopic fails to convey significance of Miles Davis’ life (The Globe and Mail)
* Miles Ahead review: Miles Davis biopic doesn't hit the high notes (Toronto Sun)
* Charisma aside, Miles Ahead falls behind, reducing Miles Davis to a character (National Post)
* Miles Davis biopic plays it cool (Montreal Gazette)
* Don Cheadle’s Miles Ahead captures late-period Miles Davis (Georgia Straight)
* Miles Davis biopic is a farce – in more ways than one (NowToronto.ca)
* 'don't call Cheadle's film about Miles Davis a biopic or jazz' (Victoria Advocate)
* Review: 'Miles Ahead' sheds light on the artist (Canada AM)
* "Miles Ahead" – Don Cheadle Channels Miles Davis (iChill.ca)
* Miles Davis biopic ‘Miles Ahead’ brings the brass (BeatRoute.ca)
* Miles Davis biopic fittingly offbeat (Vancouver Courier)
* Miles Ahead keeps pace with a jazz legend (City Pages)
* Miles Ahead Review – A totally chaotic experience of phenomenal acting (FlavourMag.co.uk)
Interviews and features
* ‘Do black movies really not sell?’: Don Cheadle on Miles Ahead (The Spectator UK)
* Don Cheadle: Life of Miles Davis is a touchstone story (The Telegraph UK)
* Don Cheadle Wanted a Make a Gangster Movie About Miles Davis, So He Did (Essence)
* Don Cheadle boldly portrays legendary trumpet player Miles Davis (Denver Post)
* Don Cheadle brings 'fire' to Miles Davis biopic (Minneapolis Star-Tribune)
* “If Miles Davis Was Alive, He’d Be Working with Kendrick Lamar”: An Interview with Don Cheadle (Vice.com)
* Here’s how Miles Davis and Nina Simone were alike and different (Washington Post)
* 'Miles Ahead': What's fact, fiction and what's Cincinnati (Cincinnati Enquirer)
* 'Miles Ahead': Cincinnati portrays NYC well but familiar local sites hard to miss (WCPO)
* KC native Don Cheadle attends showing of new film ‘Miles Ahead’ at Kansas City FilmFest (Kansas City Star)
* Don Cheadle: ‘Diversity is about who gets to say yes to something, not the people being said yes to’ (The Telegraph UK)