Monday, February 15, 2016
* Legacy Records and the Miles Davis estate are holding a drawing to give away a free copy of The Genius of Miles Davis, the deluxe box-set-of-box-sets (pictured) described as "the most comprehensive and lavishly packaged collection we've ever dedicated to a single musical artist."
For a chance to win, go to https://offerpop.com//campaign/795971 and complete the entry form before March 6.
* In the latest news of Don Cheadle's film Miles Ahead (which opens April 1 in the US and April 22 in the UK), the blog Musiqology undertook "A Close-Reading of the Miles Ahead Trailer"; the website Glasgow Film anticipates the movie's UK opening with "5 Things About Miles Ahead"; and M. Tsai of the website Critic's Notebook reviewed the film.
* Music blogger Choon Smith offered a brief appreciation of the posthumously produced track "Fantasy" from Davis' final studio album Doo-Bop.
* A portrait of Miles Davis by photographer William Coupon is one of 70 works featured in "Art of Jazz," a multi-part, multimedia exhibit now being shown at Harvard University's Art Museums and Cooper Gallery of African & African American Art.
* And in this week's "media name-checks Miles" news, "A Brief History of the Martin Committee Trumpet" at Reverb.com notes that Davis played that model of horn on sessions for his album Birth of The Cool, while Inc. magazine's "How to Hire Like a Superboss" mentions Davis as an example of a "superboss" who made room for others to shine.