Monday, January 11, 2016
* Miles Ahead, actor/director Don Cheadle's film about Davis, has gotten a release date in the United Kingdom: April 22. Here in the USA, the movie will open in NYC and Los Angeles on April 2.
* Davis' re-imagining of the David Crosby tune "Guinnevere," first heard on Crosby, Stills and Nash's 1969 debut album, was included in Westword's list of "The Ten Best Unexpected Cover Songs." Davis recorded "Guinnevere" in 1970, but his version didn't come out until the 1979 release of the compilation album Circle in The Round.
* A line drawing of Davis in action is featured on a free promotional glass for Alton Restaurant Week, which begins this Friday, January 15 and continues through Sunday, January 24. Patrons who dine out during the promotion at one of 19 participating restaurants in the town where the trumpeter was born can exchange their dinner receipt for a free glass (pictured) at the Alton Visitor Center, 200 Piasa St, while supplies last.
* A programmer for radio station KTUH, a college radio station in Honolulu, offered an appreciation of Davis' 1971 album A Tribute to Jack Johnson.
* A blogger at Ripple Music summed up the effects of hearing Bitches Brew for the first time: "A new universe opened up inside my head."