Friday, December 18, 2015
* The Funky Butt Brass Band's "Holiday Brasstravaganza" tonight and tomorrow night at Off Broadway is previewed by St. Louis magazine. (Saturday's show is sold out, but some tickets may remain for tonight.)
* The Bosman Twins are featured on the cover of December 15 issue of Town & Style magazine. The cover photo (pictured) illustrates a story inside about the 2016 winners of the Arts and Education Council of Greater St. Louis' Arts Awards. The Bosmans and the other winners will receive their awards at a ceremony and dinner on Monday, January 25 at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel.
* For the second consecutive year, Jazz St. Louis has received a four-star rating from Charity Navigator, a national evaluator of non-profit organizations. A news release from JSL said that only 21% of the charities evaluated get at least two four-star evaluations (the top score possible) in a row. More specifically, in 2015 JSL spent more than 90% of its total budget on programs and services, which is higher than required to earn the four-star rating.
Jazz St. Louis currently is raising funds for a new education initiative called The Jazz Academy, which provides jazz training for middle school students to support the music programs in the financially pressed Normandy, Riverview Gardens, and East St. Louis school districts. You can find out more or make a contribution via the Jazz Academy project's page on Gladitood, an online fundraising service.
* Speaking of Jazz St. Louis, they've posted to Facebook a photo set from yesterday's appearance by drummer Matt Wilson's Christmas Tree-O at Cool Valley Elementary School.
* And speaking of jazz education, saxophonist Christopher Braig and his teaching methods were the subjects of a feature story this week on St. Louis Public Radio.
* The STL Free Jazz Collective has posted to YouTube some video footage from their recent "Notes From Home" concert at The Sheldon.