Miles Davis-related news:
* To promote the forthcoming box set of Davis' performances at the Newport Jazz Festival, Legacy Records put out a previously unreleased version of "Stella by Starlight" recorded by the trumpeter's quintet at the 1966 Newport fest. You can hear the track in the YouTube audio embed below.
* In a related development, the release of that 1966 track prompted the ReviveMusic website to compile some other classic Davis performances of “Stella By Starlight.”
* Closer to home, Ken Whiteside, who's involved with both the Miles Davis Jazz Festival and the Miles Davis Memorial Project in Alton, discussed recent developments and previewed this year's festival on an episode of WBGZ's "Let's Talk" program.
* The transitional state of Davis' music at the beginning of the 1960s was examined in the most recent episode of Indiana Public Media's "Night Lights" program, "Miles Between: Miles Davis 1961-1963."
* The effect of racism on Davis' romance with French actress Juliette Greco (pictured, with Davis) was the subject of a story on a recent episode of "Rhythm Planet" from Santa Monica BPR affiliate KCRW.
* In an interview with Los Angeles public TV station KCET, Herbie Hancock spoke briefly about his involvement in Miles Ahead, the upcoming feature film about Davis directed by and starring Don Cheadle.
After the jump, you can hear the Miles Davis Quintet performing "Stella By Starlight" at the 1966 Newport Jazz Festival...
In Concert For Cancer
2 hours ago