Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short news items of local interest:
* Don Wolff will receive his 2015 “Jazz Hero” award from the Jazz Journalists Association in a ceremony at 5:30 p.m., Thursday, April 30 at Jazz at the Bistro. The event is free and open to the public, and will feature live music, complimentary Brother Thelonious Ale, and a cash bar.
Wolff is one of 24 "Jazz Heroes" around the country who are being recognized by JJA this year for their behind-the-scenes contributions to preserving and promoting jazz music.
* Pianist Robert Glasper, who's playing next Wednesday and Thursday at Jazz at the Bistro, spoke with Calvin Wilson of the Post-Dispatch for a preview story.
* Also in the P-D this week, Wilson reviewed new albums released by pianist Vijay Iyer and saxophonist Rudresh Mahanthappa.
* Meanwhile, trumpeter and St. Louis native Keyon Harrold, who will be with Glasper as a special guest for next week's gigs, had a brief chat with Wilson's P-D colleague Kevin Johnson.
* Jazz radio update: On this Saturday's episode of his program “Somethin’ Else” on Radio Arts Foundation - St. Louis, Calvin Wilson will spotlight the music of songwriter Victor Young ("Stella by Starlight," "My Foolish Heart") as interpreted by musicians including Keith Jarrett, Joe Henderson, and Shirley Horn.
After that on "The Jazz Collective," host Jason Church will mark two years on the air with playlist featuring vocal tunes from Billie Holiday, The Manhattan Transfer, Al Jarreau, George Benson, Albert King, Tower of Power, Sade, Morgan James, Smoove and Turrell, Labi Siffre, Jazz Crusaders, Tommy Halloran, Erin Bode, Kim Massie, and the Funky Butt Brass Band.
"Somethin' Else" can be heard at 8:00 p.m. Saturdays, followed by "The Jazz Collective" at 9:00 p.m. on 107.3 FM, 96.3 HD-2, and online at http://www.rafstl.org/listen.