Friday, January 03, 2014
* Trumpeter, consultant and impresario George Sams plans to re-start The Nu-Art Series this year with four to six performances at a location or locations yet to be determined, according to an article by Terry Perkins published this week by the St. Louis Beacon/St. Louis Public Radio.
* Singer Sarah Ulrich of Sarah Jane and the Blue Notes (pictured) is profiled in the latest issue of the local lifestyle magazine Uptown.
* The St. Louis Business Journal reports that Jazz St. Louis had a fiscally successful year in 2013.
* StLJN's annual roundup of "Best Jazz of 2013" lists this year included a couple of local entries, from Josh Weinstein, host of KDHX's "All Soul, No Borders," and Calvin Wilson of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and Radio Arts Foundation-St. Louis. You can see the entire list roundup, which has more than 120 "best of" lists from around and still is being updated, here.
* Jazz radio update: On this Saturday's episode of “Somethin’ Else” on Radio Arts Foundation - St. Louis, host Calvin Wilson will focus on the music of Herbie Hancock, including his collaborations with trumpeter Miles Davis and saxophonist Michael Brecker. The program can be heard at 8:00 p.m. Saturdays via 107.3 FM, 96.3 HD-2 and online at http://www.rafstl.org/listen.