Friday, December 27, 2013
* Drummer and St. Louis native Marcus Baylor and his wife, singer Jean Baylor (pictured), have launched a Kickstarter campaign raising money to complete the debut album by their new band The Baylor Project. You can read more about it and pledge your support here.
* The Miles Davis Memorial Project has scheduled another informational meeting at 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, January 21, at Bossanova Restaurant and Lounge, 112 West Third St. in Alton.
The project's organizers will give a short presentation and show a video about the effort to place a statue of Davis in downtown Alton. For more information, call the Alton Pride office at 618-467-2375 or email them at pride at prideincorporated dot org.
* The Funky Butt Brass Band has posted on Facebook an album of photos from last weekend's Holiday Brasstravaganza shows.
* Meanwhile, Jazz St. Louis has posted to their Facebook page an album of pictures from last week's performances by John Pizzarelli and Bucky Pizzarelli.
* A new interview with drummer Pheeroan ak Laff over at Destination: Out includes a track from saxophonist and former St. Louisan Oliver Lake.
* Jazz radio update: For 2013's final edition of “Somethin’ Else” on Radio Arts Foundation-St. Louis, host Calvin Wilson will herald the coming of the new year with recordings by trumpeters including Tom Harrell, Ambrose Akinmusire and Russell Gunn. The program can be heard at 8:00 p.m. Saturdays via 107.3 FM, 96.3 HD-2 and online at http://www.rafstl.org/listen.