Friday, June 28, 2013
* Saxophonist David Sanborn and keyboardist Bob James are out on tour in support of their new album Quartette Humaine. Here's a review of their show at the Ottawa Jazz Festival from the Ottawa Citizen's Peter Hum.
* Saxophonist Oliver Lake's new big band album Wheels was reviewed by Jazz Times magazine's Mike Shanley. Lake is in California for the next couple of weeks, playing solo Saturday in Healdsburg; with the Airstrike Quartet on Monday in Sacramento; and next weekend doing four different programs, including a duo show with Roscoe Mitchell, in Oakland.
* More reviews of Opera Theatre of St. Louis' world premiere production of Terence Blanchard's opera Champion, from the New York Times' Vivien Schweitzer and KDHX's Chuck Lavazzi, plus another interview with Blanchard from BusinessWeek.
* Is actor Don Cheadle re-thinking the casting for his long-awaited Hollywood movie biography of trumpeter Miles Davis (pictured)? Jeff Hyatt of Miles Davis Online dissects the latest developments here.
* Synthesist Joe Raglani's track "Start Over" was featured on the indie music website Tiny Mix Tapes.
* The Muny pit orchestra was the subject of a feature story this week on local NBC affiliate KSDK, while Fox affiliate KTVI turned its lenses on the eclectic chamber ensemble The 442s.
* Guitarist and singer Tommy Halloran is profiled in the latest issue of St. Louis magazine.
* New photo albums online this week include pics from New Music Circle's presentation for last Satuday's Open Studios STL event; Wack-A-Doo's performance at Strauss Park for the StL Fringe Fest; and from KDHX, this past Sunday's performance by Bonerama at the Broadway Oyster Bar.
* Webster University is looking for a few more participants - especially bassists, drummers and trombonists - for its summer jazz camp, held the week of July 8 - 12 on the Webster campus. Taught by members of the Webster jazz faculty, the camp is open to players of all experience levels from high school age to adult, and focuses on improvisation in a small combo setting. Sessions run from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day, and the cost for the week is $235. For details, see the Webster U department of music website.
* This week in local jazz radio: On this Saturday's edition of "Somethin' Else," Calvin Wilson will focus on selections from the Great American Songbook (syncing up thematically with Erin Bode's shows this weekend at Jazz at the Bistro). The program begins on Radio Arts Foundation-St. Louis at 8:00 p.m., and can be heard over the air at 107.3 FM and 96.3 HD-2, or online at http://www.rafstl.org/listen.
Then on Sunday's "Jazz Unlimited" on KWMU (90.7 FM), host Dennis Owsley will be spinning selections from "Jazz Giants" including Bix Beiderbecke, Frank Trumbauer, Joe “King” Oliver, Fats Waller, Benny Goodman, Miles Davis, Shelly Manne, Freddie Redd, Betty Carter, Woody Herman, Eric Dolphy, Chick Corea, Bud Shank, Bill Holman, Betty Carter and Sun Ra. If you're outside the broadcast area, catch the stream online at http://www.news.stlpublicradio.org/.