Friday, May 03, 2013
* Euclid Records has completed their move to new digs and is now open for business at 19 N. Gore in Webster Groves, as documented by the local edition of Patch.com.
* The fifth part of Dennis Owsley's documentary on St. Louis jazz history will air during his program "Jazz Unlimited" at 9:00 p.m. this Sunday on KWMU (90.7 FM). This installment covers the Gaslight Square period of the late 1950s and 1960s, and features music from Sammy Gardner, Singleton Palmer, Muggsy Sprecher, the St. Louis Ragtimers, Ceil Clayton, Clea Bradford, Jeanne Trevor and the Quartet Tres Bien, and others, plus interviews with Jeter Thompson, Norman Menne and Joe Buerger. Previous installments can be heard online on KWMU's website.
* Erin Bode (pictured) is the subject of a new episode of HEC-TV's program A Conversation With..., which features a half-hour long interview with the singer.
* Alarm Will Sound has posted to their Facebook page an album of photos from last week's performance of 1969 at the Touhill, plus a video from the show of bassist/guitarist Miles Brown re-creating a Hendrix-at-Woodstock style version of "The Star-Spangled Banner."
* Speaking of videos, here's a clip of electronic musician Joe Raglani performing last weekend at mushmaus.
* And speaking of photosets, here's one from the Dave Dickey Big Band's performance on Sunday at Kirkwood Station Brewing Company.
* Also, via KDHX, here are some photos of the show by guitarist Bill Frisell and his band Beautiful Dreamers last Sunday at the Old Rock House.
* Pianist and bandleader Kevin Mitchell has been named editorial director of a group of music magazines including Musical Merchandise Review (MMR), School Band & Orchestra (SBO), JAZZed, and Choral Director. Mitchell is a longtime freelance contributor to publications run by the magazines' new owners, Timeless Communication Corp.
* St. Louis University and the Kwame Foundation are sponsoring a jazz composition competition for high school seniors in the St. Louis area. Entry deadline is September 1, and you can get the details here.