Friday, April 19, 2013
* There's more coverage of this weekend's Greater St. Louis Jazz Festival from KWMU, KPLR, and KTRS.
* KWMU's Dennis Owsley has a preview of the third installment of his radio history of St. Louis jazz (airing at 9:00 p.m. this Sunday) plus some supplemental photos and videos here.
* The Route 66 Jazz Orchestra has posted to Facebook an album of photos from their show this past Wednesday at Kirkwood Station Brewing Company.
* Here's a review of Nouveau Stride, the recently released CD featuring St. Louis pianist Stephanie Trick and singer Lorraine Feather.
* An exhibition of original artwork by Miles Davis, “Miles Davis: The Art of Cool,” will be presented by June 8 through July 28 at the Napa Valley Museum and Lincoln Theater in Yountville, CA. It features 35 pieces of Davis' artwork as well as personal effects, and will be accompanied by various special events and a film screening.
* Saxophonist and St. Louis native David Sanborn and pianist Bob James will celebrate the release of their new CD Quartette Humaine and begin a joint tour with a concert on June 6 at NYC's Town Hall.
* Tomorrow, Saturday, April 20, is the annual National Record Store Day, and, as has become the custom here in St. Louis, local music retailers are celebrating with exclusive limited releases, live bands, guest DJs, giveaways and more. You can get an overview of what's going on around town from the St. Louis Beacon and/or the Riverfront Times.
As part of the festivities, yr. humble StLJN editor has been invited to return to Vintage Vinyl in University City again this year for an hour-long "guest DJ" spot. I'll be in the store spinning some jazz, blues, soul and funk from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday, so if you're nearby, stop in and say hello.