Friday, February 01, 2013
* The latest posthumous Miles Davis CD release, Miles Davis Quintet - Live In Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 2, came out this week to favorable reviews from, among others, NPR, AllAboutJazz.com and Pitchfork.
* Jazz St. Louis has posted to their Facebook page an album of photos from Dave Holland's second set Wednesday night at Jazz at the Bistro. Holland and his quintet continue at the Bistro through Saturday.
* In a related development, JSL also got word this week that the Bistro once again has been named by DownBeat to the magazine's list of top jazz clubs worldwide.
* Also on Facebook, there's an album of photos from the Dave Dickey Big Band's performance last Sunday at Kirkwood Station Brewing Company. The show marked Dickey's one-year anniversary of monthly gigs at the venue, with guest pianist Chip Stephens sitting in for the celebratory show, and the All-Suburban Honors Jazz Band playing at intermission.
* While in St. Louis last month to play at the Bistro, The Bad Plus' pianist Ethan Iverson took a shopping trip to Euclid Records to buy some jazz vinyl, and now he's documented his finds (with some good-natured grumbling about having spent too much money) in a blog post here. Euclid also made the news recently via their New Orleans branch store, which, thanks to its hot-pink exterior, was named one of The Most Beautiful Record Stores in the World by Flavorwire.
* Celebrating 50 years in business, Granite City music store owner John Fornaszewski was profiled by the Suburban Journals.