Friday, January 04, 2013
* The indefatigable Clark Terry has posted New Year's greetings on his blog.
* Jan Shapiro, singer and former St. Louisan who now heads the vocal program at Berklee College of Music, has a new CD called Piano Bar After Hours. The album (pictured) features a varied program of songs, from well-known tunes such as "If I Were A Bell" and Horace Silver's "Doodlin'" to more obscure numbers. Although the "official release" isn't until April 2013, both the CD and single tracks already can be purchased via CDbaby, iTunes, and Amazon.com.
* In a year-end interview, Euclid Records' Joe Schwab told KWMU's Maria Altman that 2012 was a good year for music on vinyl.
* New Music Circle has posted online a brief video clip from the Taylor Ho Bynum Sextet's concert in November at Luminary Center for the Arts.
* The Facebook page for Joe's Cafe and its associated gallery linked to a set of vintage photos of Gaslight Square, annotated by Jack Parker of O'Connell's Pub fame.