Friday, December 07, 2012
* Singer and St. Louis native Lynne Fiddmont has just released a new holiday CD, Spirit of Christmas, featuring guest performances from singer Kevin Whalum, Yellowjackets' pianist Russell Ferrante, saxophonist Everette Harp and more. Fiddmont will celebrate with two CD release events this month in Los Angeles. The album (pictured) can be purchased online from iTunes and CDBaby.com.
* Jazz St. Louis has uploaded to their Facebook page a photo set from singer-guitarist John Pizzarelli's performance at Francis Howell North HS. While in town last week to play at Jazz at the Bistro, Pizzarelli also did an interview with KWMU's "Cityscape."
* St. Louis native Ronnie Burrage's show next Thursday, December 13 at NYC's Shapeshifter Labs will be viewable via an online stream for just $3. The gig by the drummer's ensemble Band Burrage will feature his regular collaborators Rick Tate on saxophone and Michael Stark on guitar, as well as special guests Wallace Roney (trumpet), Frank "Kuumba" Lacy (trombone), Essiet Essiet (bass), Benito Gonzalez (keyboards), and Curtis Stewart (violin).
* The London Jazz blog has a review of the recent re-issue of five late-career albums that Miles Davis recorded for Warner Brothers.
* The new band Sound Prints, fronted by saxophonist Joe Lovano and trumpeter Dave Douglas and including up-and-coming Berklee grad and St. Louis native Lawrence Fields on piano, made their debut last week at NYC's Village Vanguard. NPR recorded the gig for broadcast, and it also was reviewed by the New York Times' Nate Chinen.
* The Sheldon Concert Hall now has limited edition t-shirts celebrating the Hall's 100th anniversary for sale online.
* The new CWE venue Troy's Jazz Gallery, written about previously on StLJN here and here, apparently now is up and running, as documented by this photo from last night's performance by guitarists Eric Slaughter and Tom Byrne.
* Josh Weinstein, host of the Sunday night program All Soul, No Borders, is profiled on the KDHX website.
* HEC-TV is readying for telecast a new episode of I Love Jazz, featuring excerpts from saxophonist Hamiet Bluiett's performance last summer at the Missouri Botanical Garden's Whitaker Music Festival. The December episode also includes a feature on the south side woodwind retailer/museum Saxquest. Check your TV provider's program guide for a schedule, or watch online at hectv.org/programs/series/i-love-jazz.
The cable network also has put together a new special, St. Louis on Stage: Music for the Holidays, compiling past performances from various local musicians including some jazz performers. In addition to playing on cable and online, the program will get a broadcast airing at 6:00 p.m. this Sunday, December 9 on Fox channel 2.2 (aka Antenna TV).
* While he's in town next week to play at The Pageant, guitarist Dweezil Zappa will present a master class at 2:00 p.m. Wednesday, December 12 at Blueberry Hill's Elvis Room. Sponsored by Fazio's Frets & Friends, the event has a very limited seating capacity; to reserve a spot, contact Fazio's Jim Holt at 636-227-3573 or jholt @ faziosmusic.com.