Friday, October 19, 2012
* Trumpeter Christian Scott spoke with the Post-Dispatch's Calvin Wilson for a short article in yesterday's paper. Scott continues at Jazz at the Bistro through tomorrow night.
* While they're in town getting ready to perform Saturday night with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra also are spending some time mentoring young musicians from East St. Louis High School. The St. Louis American's Kenya Vaughn has the story here.
* Back over at the P-D, book editor Jane Henderson writes briefly about Miles Davis: The Complete Illustrated History (pictured), a new book due out November 17 from Voyageur Press.
* The Sheldon Concert Hall has posted on their Facebook page a set of photos from last week's 100th anniversary gala.
* The Route 66 Jazz Orchestra is the new name of the group formerly known as the Meramec Jazz Band, and they've posted to their Facebook page a set of photos from Wednesday's gig at Sky Music Lounge in West County.
* And in one more Facebook photoset, the 2012-13 lineup of the trombone-centric student group Metrobones is captured for posterity here.
* A recent performance of music and poetry by saxophonist Oliver Lake in Pittsburgh is reviewed here.