Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* Today is saxophonist Oliver Lake's 70th birthday, and Lake (pictured) is celebrating with a weekend of shows at NYC's Jazz Standard.
* Drummer Montez Coleman was profiled for the St. Louis Beacon by Terry Perkins.
* Saxquest has posted on their Facebook page a photo album from Sunday's performance and clinic by Bob Sheppard.
* And speaking of photo sets and Facebook, the St. Louis Big Band has posted some pictures from their gig last Saturday at Chesterfield Amphitheater.
* Are drummer Dave Weckl and keyboardist Jay Oliver, who first collaborated as up-and-coming musicians here in their hometown of St. Louis, getting ready for a new project together? Weckl this week teased the possibility by posting this photo to his Facebook page.
* Trumpeter, singer and U City native Jeremy Davenport was interviewed last week by News Orleans' WWNO radio. Davenport will be back in St. Louis at least twice during the 2012-13 presenting season - at Jazz at the Bistro for Thanksgiving weekend, and again in February at the Sheldon Concert Hall.
* While he was in town earlier this week to play two nights at Jazz at the Bistro, bassist Marcus Miller also stopped by the studios of local Fox affiliate KTVI for a short interview.
* And speaking of the Bistro, a recent article from the St. Louis Examiner on the website of CBS Radio affiliate KMOX named the club as one of the "Top Places for Rekindling Romance in St. Louis."
VItal Weekly 953
51 minutes ago