Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* Pianist Peter Martin (pictured) has posted a YouTube video previewing the new composition he's writing for the Sheldon Concert Hall's 100th anniversary celebration next month.
* After prevailing in the final judging held last night at Robbie's House of Jazz, Ron Wilkinson & Friends are the winners of the "Webster's Got Talent" contest conducted over the past couple of weeks by the Old Webster Jazz & Blues Festival. They'll open this year's OWJ&BF as the first act on the Allen Ave. Stage at noon on Saturday, September 15.
* Saxquest has posted on their Facebook page a photo album of Monday's performance by saxophonist Jeff Coffin and Mu'tet. They've also posted a YouTube video with an 18-minute excerpt from saxophonist Chip McNeill's gig there earlier this month.
* Dennis Owsley's latest blog post for St. Louis magazine is about "conflicts of interest and intellectual dishonesty" in jazz.
* Lindy Hop St. Louis is looking for volunteers to help with their weekly Tuesday night swing dances and with the Nevermore Jazz Ball in November. An hour of volunteering earns a $5 credit toward any of the organization's classes, dances, or events. For more info or to sign up, email volunteer @ lindyhopstlouis.org.
* The New York Times' Nate Chinen reviews Ornette in America, the rarely seen documentary about Ornette Coleman that will be screened October 26-28 here in St. Louis by the Webster University Film Series .
Touching Extremes Reviews
1 hour ago