Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* The Delmar Lounge, the long-running bar and restaurant in U City's Loop district, has closed. The Riverfront Times' restaurant writer Ian Froeb has the news here, and local rapper Tef Poe penned an account of the venue's last night for the RFT Music Blog here.
The Delmar featured live jazz at various times over the last 15 years, through several changes in ownership and management. Most recently, there were several weekly gigs of interest to jazz fans, including a Monday night jam; pianists Ptah Williams and Jesse Gannon on Wednesdays and Thursdays, respectively; and funk trio Downstereo on Sundays. Coming in the wake of the shuttering of both Brandt's and Riddle's a couple of years ago, the closing of the Delmar Lounge now leaves the Loop area completely devoid of any venues regularly featuring live, local jazz.
* Keyboardist Brian Culbertson talked with the Post-Dispatch's Kevin Johnson about his joint tour with saxophonist David Sanborn, which hits The Pageant next Thursday. (Sanborn also chimes in a bit toward the end of the piece.)
* And speaking of The Pageant, they've announced that their box office, Suite 100, now is also a Ticketmaster outlet for the region, selling tickets to Ticketmaster events at other local venues such as the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Edward Jones Dome, Scottrade Center, and Peabody Opera House.
* The Sheldon Concert Hall has posted on Facebook a photo album of pianist Peter Martin & singer Christine Brewer rehearsing "This Present Past," a new work by Martin that was commissioned for The Sheldon's 100th Anniversary Celebration concert on Thursday, October 11.
* Author, artist and preservation activist Kevin Belford will speak about his book Devil At The Confluence: The Pre-War Blues Music of St. Louis at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 30 at the Missouri State Archives, 600 W. Main Street in Jefferson City. The free event is sponsored by the Friends of the Missouri State Archives.
* Jazz St. Louis has announced the selection of musicians for this year's Jazz St. Louis All-Stars, the premiere group representing the organization's extensive jazz education programs for area middle school and high school students. The 2012-13 All-Stars (pictured, photo courtesy of Jazz St. Louis) will include guitarist Zach Aria (Maplewood Richmond Heights HS), bassist Kevin Baudrexl (Lindbergh HS), trombonist Kevin Killeen (Webster Groves HS), saxophonist Matthew Leininger (Lindbergh HS), trumpeter Khamali Moore (Metro HS) and drummer Zachary Morrow (University City HS).
The Cornelia Street Cafe in May
2 hours ago