Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* As part of the campaign to save the historic Palladium Building (aka Club Plantation) in midtown, artist and author Kevin Belford has created some new images with a vintage look that liken the significance of the Palladium to that of New Orleans' Preservation Hall (pictured), Chicago's Green Mill, and Harlem's Cotton Club. Those who support preserving the building, which is scheduled to be razed for a parking lot, are being asked to email the Landmarks Association of St. Louis' Andrew B. Weil at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Rhino Records has announced plans to issue a newly compiled 2-CD "best of" anthology from saxophonist and St. Louis native David Sanborn on Tuesday, July 31.
* One of guitarist Charlie Hunter's sets last Saturday at Jazz at the Bistro was reviewed by KDHX's Wil Wander.
* The Meramec Jazz Band has posted a photo album on their Facebook page of their recent concert at Old Orchard Gazebo Park.
* Pianist and composer Jim Hegarty has posted a new entry in his "Creativity Is..." video interview series. This installment features a chat with John Tamm-Buckle, electronic musician and founder of Kvist Records. You can see a one-minute excerpt here, and the whole interview, which runs just over 15 minutes, here.
* The Regional Arts Commission (RAC) this week announced the results of a study showing that not-for-profit arts and culture organizations generated $582.3 million in total economic activity in St. Louis city and county in fiscal 2010, up 4 percent from fiscal 2005. That amount includes $313.3 million in spending by nonprofit arts and cultural organizations and $269.1 million in event-related spending by their audiences. You can see a .pdf of the study results here.
* And speaking of RAC, they're still looking for artists, musicians and other creative people living in the St. Louis region to take their "Artists Count" survey. Those who complete the online questionnaire by Monday, July 9 will be entered in a drawing to win a $200 iTunes gift card.
Maria Schneider Orchestra - "Choro Dancado"
4 hours ago