Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* Guitarist Charlie Hunter was interviewed by Calvin Wilson of the Post-Dispatch. Hunter plays tonight and tomorrow night at Jazz at the Bistro, and also is doing a master class Saturday afternoon at City Music.
* Keyboardist Michael Silverman (pictured) of Bach to the Future was featured in an article by the Post-Dispatch's Joe Holleman. The article focused on Silverman's role as a adoptive parent, and a song he wrote to promote international adoptions.
* StLJN is sorry to report that pianist and teacher Henry Burns, who mentored many East St. Louis musicians during his 27 years as band director at George Rogers Clark Junior High School, died on June 11 in Granite City. He was 72. You can read Burns' obit, including comments from former students like pianist Reggie Thomas, here.
* The KDHX website has just profiled All Soul, No Borders host Josh Weinstein.
* Dennis Owsley's latest blog entry for St. Louis magazine focuses on the consequences of the declining number of jazz DJs on broadcast radio.
* The Funky Butt Brass Band has posted online an album of photos from their concert last week at Carondelet Park.
* A track from pianist Jim Hegarty, bassist Willem von Hombracht and drummer Shane Robles was featured on Taran Singh's Free Jazz Hour podcast.
* Looks like the proposed Miles Davis feature film starring Don Cheadle finally has a director. It's Antoine Fuqua, whose previous films include the Denzel Washington vehicle Training Day and Brooklyn's Finest.
* And speaking of Davis, here's a report from the scene of last week's first day issue ceremony for the new stamp featuring the trumpeter, as well as local reaction stories from Fox 2 News and the Belleville News-Democrat.
* Finally, in one more bit of Davis-related news, Pride Incorporated - the Alton-based civic improvement group involved in trying to bring a statue of Davis to the town where he was born - has begun talking with artists about a potential design.
(Edited after posting to add the Dennis Owsley link and some tags. Edited again 9/9/12 to fix a broken link and a typo.)
Touching Extremes Reviews
1 hour ago