Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* This past Tuesday's first day of issue of stamps honoring Miles Davis and Edith Piaf by the postal services in the United States and France was covered locally by the Post-Dispatch and the Associated Press.
* As mentioned here earlier, the Sheldon Art Galleries' exhibit on the jazz photography of Ralston Crawford is about to go on display at the New Orleans Museum of Art. You can see the exhibit being installed in a photo set here, and read curator Olivia Lahs-Gonzales' essay about it here. (.pdf file)
* Speaking of photo albums, Saxquest has posted on their Facebook page two sets of pictures documenting saxophonist Kirk Whalum's demonstration and performance at the store last Sunday.
* Here's another review of Stages St. Louis' production of Ain't Misbehavin', from KMOX radio's Harry Hamm. The show runs through July 1.
* Pianist Peter Martin was featured last week in Town & Style magazine
* Drummer Andre Boyd, a St. Louis native who performs with the company of Cirque du Soleil's Quidam that's coming next week to the Chaifetz Arena, spoke briefly about the show with the Post-Dispatch's Calvin Wilson.
* Another native St. Louisan, saxophonist Greg Osby (pictured), has teamed up with keyboardist Shimrit Shoshan for a new project, and they talked about it to The Revivalist in a two-part video interview.
* Commenting on the recent pledge drive held by radio station WSIE (88.7 FM), general manager Greg Conroy told StLJN, "With the $4,000 our listeners sent in December and then this current amount we received earlier this month during our second phone-a-thon, we're very gratified with the generosity of our loyal listeners. They understand the investment it takes to keep modern American Jazz playing on the airwaves and on-line. Like I always say....we're fans too, and we love to play this music as much as the listeners love to hear it. Thanks to everyone who contributed." The station has added nearly 1,500 new music selections to its servers this year, Conroy said.
Maria Schneider Orchestra - "Choro Dancado"
4 hours ago