Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* The HEC-TV program I Love Jazz will be doing a live recording for a future episode at 7:00 p.m. this coming Tuesday, May 8 at Jimmy's Cafe on the Park. A quartet led by trumpeter Jim Manley (pictured) will perform for an hour before the cameras, and the taping is open to the public.
* Speaking of televised performances, while saxophonist Tia Fuller was in town last week to play at Jazz at the Bistro, she and bassist Mimi Jones stopped by the studios of local NBC affiliate KSDK for an interview and brief performance on the station's afternoon newscast. You can watch the segment online here
* Online voting has begun for the Riverfront Times' 2012 RFT Music Poll. You can vote for your favorite bands and musicians here.
* The latest entry on Clark Terry's blog reports on the benefit concert held last week in NYC to raise money for Terry's medical expenses.
* JazzTimes has a new video interview with saxophonist Bobby Watson, who will be in St. Louis next weekend to play at Robbie's House of Jazz. You can watch Watson describe how he got his first big break with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers here.
* Jazz on Broadway has posted more photos in a Facebook album documenting recent Friday shows featuring saxophonist Tim Cunningham.
* While you're on Facebook, you also can check out photos of the Meramec Jazz Band's spring concert at the Black Cat Theatre.
* If you wanted to attend the recent workshop at the Regional Arts Commission about how to use the online crowd funding site Kickstarter, but couldn't make it that night, check out a slide show recapping the presentation here (.pdf file).
* Keyboard player, composer and New Music Circle board member Jim Hegarty has just posted free mp3s of two albums on his website. One of the recordings features duos and trios with drummer Shane Robles and bassist Willem von Hombracht; the other is of a quartet with von Hombracht, saxophonist Dave Stone and percussionist Henry Claude.
* And speaking of New Music Circle, they'll wrap up their 2011-12 season next Friday, May 11 at the William A. Kerr Foundation, 21 O’Fallon St, with a showcase concert featuring music from regional and local performers including Olivia Block, Joseph Raglani, Kevin Harris, Pat Boland, and Jeremy Kannapell. You can watch a promo video for the concert in the embedded window below.
(Edited to add three more items inadvertently omitted from the first version of this post.)
A Smooth & Funky Christmas 2
5 hours ago