Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* Saturday's concert by guitarist Tom Byrne's group Have U Heard at the Wildey Theatre is the subject of a preview story by Bill Tucker of the Edwardsville Intelligencer.
* Jazz St. Louis has a new podcast online, featuring an interview and "blindfold test" with trumpeter Byron Stripling. Stripling (pictured) will be here next week to do an educational residency for JSL and perform on Friday and Saturday at Jazz at the Bistro.
* Radio station KDHX's (88.1 FM) website has a brief review of last Saturday's performance by Chucho Valdés at the Sheldon Concert Hall, written by the station's Jared Corgan.
* Writing on Facebook, saxophonist Oliver Lake says he's just completed the first of two recording sessions for his next album, which will feature his Big Band. Lake is trying to raise money for the production via the website IndieAGoGo. As of this writing, he's raised $1,460 toward a goal of $6,000, with 44 days left in the campaign.
* Time magazine has just put online 13 never-before-published photos of Miles Davis, from the archives of now-defunct sister magazine Life.
* Because of the snowy weather on Monday, the St. Louis Volunteer Lawyers and Accountants for the Arts had to reschedule the workshop "Inside the Music Biz: Legal Essentials" that was to have been presented that evening. The new date is Monday, April 16; registration info is at the first link above.
* New Orleans funk band Galactic will be in St. Louis to perform on Wednesday, March 14 at The Pageant in support of their new album Carnivale Electricos, which is being released to the public next Tuesday. However, you can get a first listen to the new album online right now, via a free audio stream on the website of talk show host Conan O'Brien.
Larry Coryell Is Gone
2 hours ago