Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* Saxophonist Willie Akins (pictured) talks to the Post-Dispatch's Calvin Wilson about playing the music of John Coltrane this weekend at Jazz at the Bistro.
* Author, illustrator and blues aficionado Kevin Belford has a new blog post about St. Louis' Palladium building, which long ago housed a club presenting well-known jazz and blues musicians, and has fallen into disrepair.
* The Fox Theatre will be closed for the next seven weeks for a bit of refurbishment, as outlined here by the P-D's Kevin Johnson.
* The Arts & Education Council of Greater St. Louis is seeking nominees for its 2012 Arts Awards, which recognize "individuals who achieve a legacy of artistic excellence, and organizations and businesses that enrich St. Louis’ arts and cultural community." Those interested in nominating a person or organization can do so online here.
* Guitarist Glenn Burleigh, who plays with the St. Louis rock band The Union Electric, had a prized Telecaster stolen in a burglary last week, and local musicians are urged to be on the lookout for the purloined instrument. You can see a photo of the Tele and read more in this story from Riverfront Times music editor Kiernan Maletsky.
Monday Recommendation: Wolfgang Muthspiel
3 hours ago