Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* This week's St. Louis American has an obituary for singer Mae Wheeler, penned by staff writer Kenya Vaughn.
* The Post-Dispatch's Calvin Wilson has a very short preview story on Monday night's performance by the Monterey County HS All Star Band at Jazz at the Bistro.
* Speaking of student jazz bands, the one from Belleville West High School just got back from a trip to Germany, as chronicled here by the Suburban Journals' Jim Merkel.
* Changes may be coming to the streetscape of the Grand Center district, which includes Jazz at the Bistro, the Sheldon Concert Hall, the Fox Theatre and other venues for musical performances. The Post-Dispatch's Marlon Walker wrote about the public meeting to discuss the plan here.
* Terry Perkins profiled the eclectic roots music band Sins of the Pioneers for the St. Louis Beacon.
* StLJN got a shout-out last week from The Bad Plus' Ethan Iverson in a post on his blog Do The Math that mentioned various blogs devoted to local jazz scenes around the US. Thanks, Ethan!
Portland Jazz Festival
5 hours ago