Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* The Riverfront Times has a slideshow of photos from last week's concert by Galactic at The Pageant, courtesy of photographer Jon Gitchoff
* Hamiet Bluiett talked with the St. Louis American's Chris King for an article about his Big Orchestra Band, Youth Division, which plays this Saturday afternoon at the Metropolitan Gallery for the Nu-Art Series.
* Singer/songwriter and pianist Ann Hampton Callaway (pictured) will be in town next week to perform at Jazz at the Bistro, and the Post-Dispatch's Calvin Wilson has an interview with her here.
* Over on St. Louis magazine's Look/Listen blog, Stefene Russell interviewed pianist Kara Baldus Vandiver about her upcoming concert of music associated with Bill Evans, which is scheduled Thursday, April 7 for the Jazz at Holmes series at Washington University.
* St. Louis Volunteer Lawyers and Accountants for the Arts (VLAA) will continue their seminar series for individual artists with a presentation on band partnership agreements at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, March 28 at the Regional Arts Commission, 6128 Delmar. Presenters will include attorneys Andrew Scavotto of Stinson Morrison Hecker and Chris Coleman of RubinBrown, with "ripped from the headlines stories provided by Loren Wells, creator of The Discography: Legal Encyclopedia of Popular Music." The registration fee is $10 in advance, $15 at the door. For more information, call 314-863-6930 or visit VLAA’s website.
* Record Store Day 2011 is set for Saturday, April 16, and yr. humble StLJN editor actually will be playing a small supporting part this year, as Vintage Vinyl has invited me to DJ at their store for an hour as part of the daylong celebration of independent record sellers across the USA.
I'll be spinning the platters that matter and stacks of hot wax from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. that day at VV , and they and their fellow local indie music retailers have a full menu of activities scheduled, with guest DJs, live bands, limited-edition releases, special pricing, and more. The RFT's Annie Zaleski has a roundup of all the Record Store Day festivities in St. Louis here.
All About Jazz Reviews
56 minutes ago