Here's the latest wrap-up of assorted links and short local news items of interest:
* Singer Carla Cook will perform and fellow vocalist Mae Wheeler will be honored for Lifetime Achievement in the Arts at this year's St. Louis Arts Awards.
* Guitarist Todd Mosby (pictured) went on the 4:00 p.m. newscast at KPLR (Channel 11) this week to demonstrate and talk about his Imratgitar, a custom-built hybrid of a guitar and a sitar. You can see the segment archived online here.
* Radio station WSIE (88.7 FM) is now offering to record and air free promotional spots featuring local jazz talent. From the blog entry on the station's site: "Here’s the plan: Any business owners, booking agents, promoters, music enthusiasts, or musicians are welcome to send us their contact information and/or audio file of who you are, what you do, why you like jazz, why supporting local music is important to you and (of course – the call tag of the station) “88.7 the jazz station”. We will gladly put your 30 second spot on the air! If need be, we can come record you."
WSIE this week also has been airing an interview with pianist Carolbeth True about her concert this Saturday at the Sheldon. The interview will be rebroadcast again today (Friday, January 21) at 6:00 p.m..
* The trombone ensemble Original Boneheads recently visited schools in Granite City to work with music students in the district, as recounted here by Suburban Journals reporter Scott Cousins.
* The University of Missouri St. Louis' Gallery 210 this week opened a new exhibit called “Post-Gig,” a traveling collection of 130 original, contemporary music posters from the 2000s drawn from Clifford Stoltze’s book 1000 Music Graphics. The exhibit runs through March 12, with a closing reception featuring Stoltze at 5:30 p.m. on March 10.
* The Missouri Association of Jazz Educators (MOAJE) has a number of events planned during next week's 73rd Annual Missouri Music Educators Conference at Lake of the Ozarks, including a jam session on Wednesday night and a reading session on Friday. For a complete schedule, see the MOAJE website.
Music and More Reviews
2 hours ago