Here's the latest wrap-up of links and short local news items of interest:
* Feast magazine's "Dinner and a Show" feature this week spotlights Jeremy Davenport's gig this weekend at Jazz at the Bistro.
* The Post-Dispatch's Calvin Wilson previews Steve Ross' cabaret show this weekend at the Kranzberg Arts Center and next week's performances by Barb Jungr at the same venue.
* Guitarist Steve Schenkel (pictured) has organized a tribute to the music of John Lennon to be presented on Tuesday, December 7 at Webster University's Community Music School. The concert will feature Webster U jazz faculty and music students performing songs from throughout Lennon's career, and you can read all about it this article from the Webster U Journal.
* Steve Pick (of KDHX, Euclid Records and too many publications to name) has reviewed Steven Pond’s book Head Hunters: The Making of Jazz's First Platinum Album for Blurt Online.
* Speaking of KDHX, the community radio station last week featured a live performance by drummer Brian Sullivan's trio, with Daryl Mixon on bass and Lew Winer III on saxophones. You can hear their set archived online here.
* Jazz St. Louis has snagged a $20,000 grant for 2011 from the National Endowment for the Arts. The money will be used to "support the Jazz St. Louis Artist Residency Program in local elementary, middle, and high schools, and the after-school music education program."
* The Goldenrod Showboat, once the site of many traditional jazz and ragtime performances on the St. Louis riverfront, has gotten a one-month reprieve from the scrapheap, thanks to a local businessman who's trying to raise funds to renovate and reopen the venerable vessel. The P-D's Deb Peterson has more here.
(Edited 11/29/10 to correct the day of the John Lennon tribute concert.)
Taran’s Free Jazz Hour Podcast 09/2017
1 hour ago