Friday, October 30, 2009

KFUO files application for license transfer

The Post-Dispatch's Sarah Bryan Miller reported today that the license assignment application to transfer ownership of KFUO (99.1 FM) from the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod to Gateway Creative Broadcasting (a.k.a. Joy FM) has been submitted to the FCC.

The proposed sale would put an end to St. Louis' only classical music radio station, also the current home of Don Wolff's long-running program "I Love Jazz," which airs on Friday nights. (For more background on the story, click the "KFUO" label at the bottom of this post to see all previous related posts.)

The 60 page application is supposed to be available at fcc.gov for viewing and commenting. However, it doesn't seem to be online yet, as a search for the application reference number 20091026AAX that was listed in Miller's story only turns up the commission's daily minutes acknowledging receipt of the form on Tuesday. (Presumably, it will be online soon, and if so, I'll update this post or make a new one, as seems appropriate. )

In the meantime, Miller has some analysis of the application in a follow-up post here; StLJN will have more on this story as it develops.

UPDATE - 1:00 a.m., 10/31/09 - A P-D reader has ferreted out the link to the application on the FCC Web site, and Miller has another follow-up post with specifics on the commenting procedure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I grew up in the St.Louis area. I remember when the first broadcasts were aired. If my memory serves me right it only broadcast FM on Sunday. I now live in Missoula, Montana and found KFUO on my Logitech wifi radio. I haven't turned it off. It is by far the best classical and jazz station on the air. I return often to St.Louis and I keep up on the current art and music available when I get there. If this goes through it will be a black day for St.Louis. It is a slap in the face to the St.Louis Symphony and the arts. This station is a rock of St.Louis history.